Wednesday, August 15, 2012

3: Sunny-Side Egg Caprese


One of my favorite things about summer is all the delicious produce, especially garden-fresh tomatoes.  My family always grew a few tomato plants growing up and it basically ruined commercial tomatoes for me.  As much as I love them, I usually avoid them at restaurants or sandwich shops.  I mean, when is the last time you ordered something with sliced tomatoes and got a rich, deep red, juicy, flavorful slice of heaven?  More likely, you receive a thin, barely pink, bitter to tasteless slice of nonsense.  Which leads me to the Caprese Salad... A tasty Italian invention that was intended to feature fresh mozzarella, ripe tomatoes, and fragrant basil.  Lots of eateries have them on the menu, but I will never order one.  

Luckily for me, mouth-watering tomatoes are available all summer long from my own garden, a friend's garden or the local farmers' market.  My area grocery chains are even starting to set up produce sections devoted to local produce.  As we are half way through August, I wanted to make sure to include a few delectable egg ideas featuring these ruby beauties.  And what better start than a Caprese-inspired breakfast?  It's yummy, seasonal, fresh and easy.

It all starts with the ingredients:
  • 1 thick slice of ripe tomato, preferable of the meaty "beefsteak" type
  • 1-2 ounces of quality mozzarella (none of the crappy shredded stuff)
  • A few leaves of fresh basil
  • 1 egg

Whenever I make my own pizza, or
anything else requiring mozzarella,
I always go for the ball-form good stuff.
At Trader Joe's you can either buy one large
ball, or this tub of smaller, marinated balls.
For one egg, you only need a little bit
of cheese.  Eye-ball it based on the size of
your tomato slice.  Cut it up into smaller
bits to help cover the top of the tomato.


Turn the broiler on in your oven and
place the tomato slice on an oven-safe dish. 
I wrapped mine in foil, not because
it's necessary, but so I'd have one less
dish that I would need to wash.
Season the tomato with a little salt and
pepper, then top with the mozzarella.


Once you stick the tomato under the broiler, you'll want to get the egg started and wash the basil.
This basil came out of my garden right before I was ready to use it. The younger the leaves, the more tender they are.

Now, here's the thing about sunny-side up eggs.  I spent the majority of my life thinking that "sunny-side up" meant they were only cooked on the bottom side and the top was meant to be a mess of yolk and egg-white snot (eeeew).  It turns out, this really only applies at Denny's or IHOP or any other diner-type place where they don't really care and they just want you to hurry up and eat, pay and go.  A "true" sunny-side up egg should have a completely cooked white, with a bright, cheery yolk.  It's basically an "over-easy" egg, but with less chance of an over-cooked yolk, and a more colorful presentation.  A sunny-side up egg was perfect for this dish because I wanted lots of runny yolk, more color, and since the tomato could be in under the broiler for a few minutes I would have time to let the egg cook more slowly.  Here's how to make a perfect sunny-side up egg: Have your pan heated to "low," add oil or butter to keep the egg from sticking, then add the egg.  Do not cover the pan.  Now, go about your business, wash the basil, put stuff away in the fridge, etc.  The important thing at this point is to watch the tomato/mozzarella until the cheese is melted to your desired gooeyness.  Mozzarella is pretty dense, so it takes a few minutes to get there (temperature of your broiler is also a factor).  Once you think the cheese is nearing a blob-like state, check the egg.  You should be able to touch the egg white with the tip of your finger and feel that it is done.

Take the tomato out of the oven and plate it.
The cheese should tantalizing.
Lay the fresh basil leaves on top.



Now, lay that happy egg on top!  The basil will wilt and become soft and the heat from the egg will keep the cheese from cooling off.  Slice into that stack of summer goodness and watch the yolk spill over the side.  While I didn't eat it with toast (carbs, you know), a bread item would be a perfect accompaniment - helpful for wiping your plate clean of tomato juice, egg yolk, and bits of cheese.

I only have a few weeks left of "tomato heaven" so don't be surprised if you see a few more recipes in the next month that feature my favorite summer vegetable. 

Love & Eggs,

Laura



This egg brought to you by Sophie,
my Cuckoo Marans hen.

No comments:

Post a Comment